Thursday 7 May 2015

The Awkward First Stories

Hello!

So, if you've been following me so far (and thank you for doing so), you'll know I want to improve myself and grow through a personal development programme using agile.

The best way I think I'll be able to accomplish my vision is to break down some of the epics identified from the life wheel.

Fitness:
  • As an agile Timelord I wish to increase my health and fitness so that I feel confident in my body aesthetically and physically, making myself feel healthy, secure and strong
As an agile Timelord I wish to increase my health and fitness - what identifiable methods can I track my progress, and what do I mean by 'health'? Drilling down further into this I am forced to give more actionable tasks with quantifiable results.
  • As an agile Timelord I want to achieve a healthy BMI of 22
  • As an agile Timelord I want to feel comfortable in my body
  • As an agile Timelord I want to tone my body to be more attractive
The 'so that...' of all the user stories above relates to the overall fitness epic. To make this more achievable I break down the above stories thinking logically as to how I will achieve them. 

  • As an agile Timelord I want to work out at least 5 times a week so that I lose weight and tone my body.
  • As an agile Timelord I want to walk at least 10,000 steps each day so I set myself an active benchmark to lose weight.
  • As an agile Timelord I want to stick to a healthy eating plan so that my exercise is the most effective it can be.
  • As an agile Timelord I want to chart my progress and set a target of losing 2lb of weight a week so that I can reach my overall goal.
I feel the above are achievable and quantifiable goals which will help me achieve my overall epic of wanting to be a fit and healthy agile Timelord.

The remaining epics are broken down below:
  • As an agile Timelord I wish to have quantifiable personal growth so that I am a more well read, knowledgeable and confident person.
    • As an agile Timelord I want to read 2 books per month so that I become more knowledgeable and cultured.
    • As an agile Timelord I want to read one non-fiction book a month so that I become more knowledgeable on useful and interesting topics.
    • As an agile Timelord I want to read one fiction book a month so that I become more well-read and cultured.
    • As an agile Timelord I want to listen to 4 business podcasts a week so that I learn more about business culture and best practices.
  • As an agile Timelord I want to make a contribution to my local community so that I feel that I give back to my community and make my environment a better place.
    • As an agile Timelord I want to raise £1,000 for my community and good causes in my local area so that my community improves.
    • As an agile Timelord I want to become known in the community so that I will benefit professionally.
    • As an agile Timelord I want to work with my peers to raise money so that my community benefits.
  • As an agile Timelord I want to grow in my career, proving that I can excel in my role so that I can raise through the ranks of my company gaining respect and monetary compensation for my effort.
    • As an agile Timelord I want to deliver and complete three projects this year so that I am a valued and valuable member of the team.
    • As an agile Timelord I want to receive actionable critique from my manager so that I can improve daily and fulfil all tasks presented.
    • As an agile Timelord I want to deliver worthwhile projects to the company to get me noticed by senior management so that I am in a strong position within the company both internally and externally.

  • As an agile Timelord I wish to improve my self-image so that I feel confident speaking publicly and comfortable in myself and abilities. 
    • As an agile Timelord I want to improve my self image and personal confidence so that I can speak publicly on any matter.
    • As an agile Timelord I want to attend Toastmasters twice a month so that my personal speaking skills grow.
    • As an agile Timelord I want to feel confident and comfortable when speaking to new people so that I can make a good impression with new friends and business colleagues.
I believe that these stories above are actionable, reflect the epics from which they are based and can have quantifiable results. Of those that I'm not sure about or unable to chart the growth of over weeks I will work within my scrum team to ensure I make good progress.

Next up, setting up the scrum team and thinking about the first sprint.

Thanks for reading,
AT

No comments:

Post a Comment