Sunday 31 May 2015

Accountability: Fitness - Corporate

Hello!

Today's accountability focuses on my continued fitness goal, this time breaking down an initiative many people in my organisation have decided to undertake.

GCC provides employers with a simple and engaging way to create a true culture of health right across the business.

For a period of 100 days starting on 27 May 2015*, hundreds of thousands of employees around the world will compete in teams of seven as the GCC takes them on a journey that will increase their physical activity levels and improve their diet and the quality of their sleep.

https://www.gettheworldmoving.com/program-overview

The Global Corporate Challenge asks competitors to wear a pedometer every day and then directly enter their steps in to the online profile. Grouped into teams their progress takes them across a world map with the goal of 'walking the whole world' in your team.

Image result for global corporate challenge

There are some problems with the programme. The app is barely functional, the pedometers are clunky ugly chunks of plastic that don't have a set sensitivity level, and potentially the most dubious thing about the programme is that individuals have to enter their own steps into their profile every day. Not that I don't trust my team mates, but without a firm way of tracing steps with a secure method of uploading the step data without it being tampered with, the entire process needs to be viewed as slightly suspect.

 
Meh.

Thankfully the GCC has a FitBit integration so I needn't have to rely on the GCC pedometers. Logging into the GCC profile I have to confirm the steps I've done so far and then it updates my progress. I can compare my average to that of my team mates, many of whom also own FitBits but also it gives a greater accountability to my fitness and steps taken.

Overall I find the GCC a great concept with a somewhat flawed execution. We are currently in the early stages of the challenge with more yet to discover. So far I feel slightly motivated to beat the average daily step count from the 2014 challenge; 13,618, but I feel the greater motivation will continue to come from personal competitions set up through the FitBit.

Thanks for reading!
AT

No comments:

Post a Comment