Wednesday 27 May 2015

Accountability: Ready Player One

Hello!

You join me in my first accountability session in my second sprint. In this sprint I decided that I would read 'Ready Player One' by Ernest Cline. Although the book was only published in 2011 it has had a large impact on geek and nerd culture at large.



Set in a dystopian future not too far from our own, the world faces a terrible energy, food and population crisis with much of the world plugged into the virtual reality simulation game called 'the Oasis'. In this game players plug into virtual reality through a headset and haptic gloves and can interact with other players as well as non-playable characters.

When one of the creators of the Oasis dies a chase begins to find the secret to his will likely his fortune within the Oasis. This leads to a competition in the vein of 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' crossed with 'The Hunger Games' drenched in a glut of 1980s nostalgia.

Having listened to the book across a couple of days I really enjoyed it however I do feel that it has an awkward target to hit, the book is aimed at the young adult market however some of the references linked to the 1980s may not strike a chord with the intended audience, but Cline describes everything with vigour and enthusiasm without having to labour it. The references come thick and fast some more heavy handed than others, I particularly enjoyed a couple of very apt 'Brazil' references, however not all of them have the same impact.

Would have I enjoyed it more if it focussed more on the 1990s games I grew up with? Most likely, I would've punched the air in joy if there were Jazz Jackrabbit and Sonic the Hedgehog references, but then again this is a book which sets itself firmly in a dystopian time, harkening back to a very specific period; the 1980s.


I enjoyed the book, the narrative I found familiar, but is that such a bad thing? I felt this was aiming to be a postmodern dystopian nightmare in places, which it was, however the postmodern flavour was less Coupland eccentricity of accepting the modern bleakness and more George Lucas, holding out for a hero that can still save the world.

I think the story does work, it paints gaming in a realistic light showing why people feel compelled to plug themselves in to another life, there are some stereotypes, but is that a bad thing? Whilst the story heavily references the 1980s and pop culture touchstones, the text and story itself is highly reminiscent of classic young adult films from 'The Goonies' to the John Hughes catalogue.

Can it teach me anything about agile? Maybe, the gamification of the quest sets the book nicely into sections, it also shows how an impossible goal can be completed in small chunks, similar to agile.

I'll be really intrigued to see the movie adaptation and if they can evoke the same feeling, Spielberg is currently signed to direct; and it makes sense as he's likely the only person in Hollywood who has enough good will to get the license to Star Wars, Back to the Future, Blade Runner and the Atari back catalogue.

'Ready Player One'? Done.
+1000xp
Level up!

AT

No comments:

Post a Comment