Friday 8 May 2015

Processes and Mechanics



Hello!

So, I have established what I want to achieve from my agile experience and personal development track but here comes the awkward bit where I have to insert the stories, tasks and actions into an achievable that gives me accountability and also some way to chart my progress.

In a typical agile environment, a team consists of three main roles, that of the scrum master, product owner and the development team. How will I relate and create these roles when essentially I'm a one Timelord army? Using the brief overviews from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrum_%28software_development%29) I'll attempt to develop a system of how personal scrum will work.

Product Owner role:
The product owner represents the stakeholders and is the voice of the customer. He or she is accountable for ensuring that the team delivers value to the business. The product owner writes (or has the team write) customer-centric items (typically user stories), ranks and prioritizes them, and adds them to the product backlog. 




To go all meta, the product owner is my brain on a good day with the fire of imagination and a drive to build me to be the best agile Timelord possible. I know what I want to achieve, but not only that, what is possible from me at a base level but also what I'd like to stretch myself to be. I'm building myself as an Agile Timelord from the ground up, by defining what I want to be and determining what to do to become it is very important.

Development team:
The development team is responsible for delivering potentially shippable increments (PSIs) of product at the end of each sprint (the sprint goal). A team is made up of 3–9 individuals with cross-functional skills who do the actual work (analyse, design, develop, test, technical communication, document, etc.). The development team in scrum is self-organizing, even though there may be some level of interface with project management offices (PMOs).


If the product owner is my brain then the development team is my body, the team to actually do both the literal and metaphorical lifting. As a product owner I will need to learn the limits of my body as to how much physical and mental activity I can dedicate to myself around my typical day-to-day work and life load.

Scrum Master:
Scrum is facilitated by a scrum master, who is accountable for removing impediments to the ability of the team to deliver the product goals and deliverables. The scrum master is not a traditional team lead or project manager, but acts as a buffer between the team and any distracting influences. The scrum master ensures that the scrum process is used as intended.




The scrum master(s) in this scenario will be my co-workers and partner, acting as stakeholders I will check in with them every day I see them where we will discuss my approach, limitations, successes and blockers. Although the scrum masters are not deeply entrenched day to day with my actions they are invested in my development and want to see me succeed.

I'm aware that this is not traditionally agile or scrum, however I believe that utilising the ethos of scrum and the overall themes of agile I can have visible progress.

Thanks for reading, as we're getting closer to launching I'm getting excited, hope you guys are interested too!


AT

No comments:

Post a Comment