Sunday 10 May 2015

Accountability: Suited and booted, well not quite

Hello!

For this accountability post I'm documenting my slow transition in workplace attire from t-shirt adorned schlub to professional powerhouse. Now, to give this extra context I will be required to break down the user story and tasks even more than usual to show the impact.

My workplace, like many does not have a dress code as such. T-shirts are common and the feeling around the office is relaxed, people are happy with this. Part of this may have lead to my complacency, a relaxed atmosphere has let my appearance slip.

So what to do, and why?

I want to look better at work as I believe looking professional in the workplace will:
  • have external clients view me in a more professional manner
  • be viewed internally as more professional
  • motivate me to work in a more professional mindset
    • If I look like I work in business I will be encouraged to strive even harder
Simply put, looking better, dressing well and generally not looking like I've rolled through a pile of clothes before leaving the house can only be seen as good things.


However, how do I define dressing 'professionally' in a way that matches my personality? Perhaps by stating a few key rules:
  1. I don't want to look like a desperate mid-life crisis weirdo
  2. I'm not a banker, I do not intend in dressing like one
  3. No dress shoes and blue jeans, links back to rule one
  4. I need to feel comfortable in what I wear
  5. No suits - that would be over-dressed for my current role
By following the simple rules above I plan to slowly convert my image into one far more professional. So now that I know what I don't want, I can help define what I will do to reach my goals.
  • I will purchase some proper shoes to move myself from trainers/sneakers into more professional footwear.
  • I will purchase some more dress shirts
  • I will purchase more casual shirts which look smart in appearance but aren't too formal
  • I will wear well fitting black pants
Following the creation of this charter I will buy these items and slowly transition into a more professional looking Timelord. Think of it as when each Doctor regenerates and starts to slip into the new clothes over time, that's what's happening now in my regeneration process.

Cheers!
The slightly more dapper AT

No comments:

Post a Comment